HISTORY OF DEWBERRY
Eli Sweet came to the area from Crediton Ontario. He saw the need for a
stopping house and post office and built one.
Then a name was needed for this post office. The name Watson submitted
along with one or two others were rejected.
Then one day Mrs. Andy Brett walked in with a pail of Dewberries and
said try Dewberry. It
was submitted and accepted.
the people were assured the railway was coming and small businesses
started up quickly in the area.
- 1932 four elevators were built. British American later
became National and then Cargill. On August 1at 1982
the Cargill (formerly National was destroyed by fire due to a
lightening strike). In 1984
Cargill demolished the remaining two of their
the only remaining elevator , The Alberta Wheat Pool was demolished.
Stanely Tullock built a butcher shop. In 1926 Stan McKay
built a hardware store and had the International Harvestor
Co. now the present Dewberry
Jim Armstrong built a livery barn which he operated until 1940 when he joined
the Second World War.
HP Levitt built a store and confectionary. It was destroyed by fire in 1932 as well as the
Municipal Office operated by
Harry Wood. It was rebuilt and later became the first Co-op store. The
new Co-op store was opened in 1986
and the old one now
houses various businesses as is known as 97 Street Plaza.
Rural Mail Delivery was begun by Erven Garnier as the first mail
carrier and is still in operation today with Lanie Parr as
Victor Dennill moved Dennills Garage from the farm to
where the Dewberry Hotel is now. In 1936 they moved to the
present sight on Main Street and is now known as Dennill's AgriCentre.
78 years of service to Dewberry and surrounding communities.
The United Church was built. Mr. John Tough was one of the earliest
student ministers and later decided to homestead. The
Church still stands.
First school was built in 1929 and opening in
Dewberry was incorporated as a village in 1957 .
water and sewer was installed.
the Curling Rink, Firehall and Village Office was built
as a Centennial Project the Arena was built and in the early 70's the
Hall was added.
Dewberry Border Credit Union was established in part of the present
Senior's Citizens Building with Rick Rewuski
as Manager and later in 1981
a new building was built.
the first Heritage Villa
(Seniors Subsidized Apartments) were opened and in 1990 the second
Villa was opened.
the first Veterinary
Clinic was opened by Dr. Barb Wilhelm and in 1988 Dr. Gary
Etherington took over and it
is presently owned by Dr. Brenda Spark..
Machine & Welding opened their business in 2000 in the former
Vet Clinic and in 2005
a new building was erected
by the UFA Bulk Station.
Neal Jones operated the UFA for 50 years as well as his own service
station which is now owned and
operated by Ken's Auto
& Diesel Repair.
a new Firehall is under construction, and completed in 2008
In 2011 construction on the new Water Treatment Plant was completed.
Hamlet of Dewberry -